Building a Family Bridge: The K-2 Visa Chronicles


K-2 visa application

The K-2 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows the unmarried children (under 21 years old) of a fiancé(e) visa holder (K-1 visa holder) to enter the United States to join their parents. To be eligible for a K-2 visa, the child must be named in the K-1 visa petition filed by the fiancé(e) of the child’s parent. Additionally, the child must be unmarried and under the age of 21 at the time of filing the K-1 visa petition. Once the K-1 visa holder (the parent) enters the United States, they can apply for K-2 visas for their eligible children.

K-2 visa application overview

Here is an overview of the K-2 visa application process:

  • Filing the K-1 Visa Petition (Form I-129F): The process begins with the U.S. citizen petitioner filing Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In this petition, the petitioner must include information about their intended fiancé(e) and any eligible children (under 21 and unmarried) who will be applying for K-2 visas.
  • Approval of the K-1 Visa Petition: Once USCIS approves the K-1 visa petition, they will forward it to the appropriate U.S. embassy or consulate where the fiancé(e) resides. The embassy or consulate will then provide instructions for the fiancé(e) and any eligible children to apply for their visas.
  • Filing the K-2 Visa Application: The eligible child (or children) must complete and submit the required visa application forms and documentation to the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. This typically includes Form DS-160 (Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application), a valid passport, a medical examination report, police certificates, and other supporting documents.
  • Interview: Each K-2 visa applicant will be scheduled for an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate. During the interview, a consular officer will review the application and ask questions to determine the eligibility of the child for the K-2 visa.
  • Decision: After the interview, the consular officer will make a decision on the visa application. If approved, the child will receive a K-2 visa stamp in their passport, allowing them to travel to the United States.
  • Entry into the United States: Once the child has their K-2 visa, they can travel to the United States. Upon arrival, they will go through the immigration inspection process at a U.S. port of entry, where a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer will review their documents and admit them into the country.
  • Adjustment of Status (Optional): After entering the United States, the child may apply for adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) if they meet the eligibility requirements.

It’s important to note that the specific requirements and procedures may vary slightly depending on the U.S. embassy or consulate where the visa application is processed. Applicants should carefully follow the instructions provided by the embassy or consulate and ensure they submit all required documentation accurately and on time.

What documents must be submitted with a K-2 visa application?

When applying for a K-2 visa, the following documents are typically required to be submitted along with the visa application:

  • Form DS-160: Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application.
  • Valid Passport: The child’s passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the intended period of stay in the United States.
  • Birth Certificate: Proof of the child’s birth and parentage.
  • Medical Examination Report: The child must undergo a medical examination by an authorized physician. The results of this examination, typically on Form DS-3025, should be submitted.
  • Police Clearance Certificate(s): Some countries require applicants to provide police certificates to demonstrate they do not have a criminal record.
  • Photographs: Recent passport-sized photographs meeting the specific requirements of the U.S. embassy or consulate.
  • Proof of Relationship: Evidence establishing the relationship between the child and the K-1 visa applicant (parent), such as birth certificates or other relevant documentation.
  • Marriage Certificate: If applicable, proof of the parent’s marriage to the U.S. citizen petitioner.
  • Affidavit of Support: Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, completed by the U.S. citizen petitioner or a joint sponsor, demonstrates the ability to financially support the child during their stay in the United States.
  • Visa Application Fee: Payment of the required visa application fee.
  • Appointment Confirmation: Confirmation of the visa interview appointment at the U.S. embassy or consulate.
  • Additional Supporting Documents: Depending on the specific circumstances, additional documents may be required, such as evidence of the child’s residence abroad, evidence of the parent’s legal status in the United States, or any other documents requested by the consular officer.

It’s important to carefully review the instructions provided by the U.S. embassy or consulate where the visa application will be processed, as specific requirements may vary depending on the location. Applicants should ensure they submit all required documents accurately and on time to avoid delays or complications in the visa application process.

Leave a Comment